Subject: [lsb-discuss] LSB and FHS restoration plan
From: Jeff Licquia <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 17:27:05 -0500
List-Id: "Linux Standard Base \(LSB\) discussion" <lsb-discuss.lists.linux-foundation.org>

A few people have been wondering when LSB services will be restored.
I've been somewhat quiet about this, because until very recently I
haven't been able to say much more than "soon".

As some of you know, when the Linux Foundation suffered their security
breach and was shut down, I was called in to assist with the recovery
efforts.  We've been working very hard on this.  The big job has been to
create a new infrastructure that will survive this kind of incident,
should it happen again, and also to give us better service.  Following
on to that, we've been bringing up workgroups and projects.  The LSB's
turn has now come.

Most new services will be brought up on a new virtual machine that will
be 100% owned by the LSB workgroup.  This will give us a bit more
flexibility and control over our own destiny; we won't need to ask for
permission to change things, or coordinate with the sysadmin, or
consider the impact on co-located LF services.  In a few cases, where it
makes sense, we'll be using shared resources.

Here is a summary of what has come back:

 - The mailing list works (obviously, since you're reading this).

 - The LSB Wiki is up, at https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSBWiki.
Old links (based off www instead of wiki) should work for a while
longer, but the above location is intended to be the wiki's new
permanent home.

Short-term, there are several important priorities.  My goal is to have
these more-or-less functional by December 12:

 - Version control.  The git servers have come back, and bzr is next on
the list.  We'll be getting rid of SSH access and PQM; read-only access
will happen via HTTP, and commit/push access will happen over HTTPS.
We've been wanting to make that change for a while, and now will be able to.

 - FTP.  Once the new VM is up, I will host file download services.
We'll be phasing out FTP-the-protocol in favor of all-HTTP downloads,
and changing hostnames, paths, etc., but will support our old system for
a short time while we upgrade our client tools, like the App Checker and
Dist Checker, to do things the new way.

 - Web services: Navigator and the certification system.  After FTP is
up, I'll be working on bringing these up on the new VM.  As with FTP,
it's likely the paths and locations will change, but we will support the
old paths here as well.

 - Bugzilla.  We have shared infrastructure for running Bugzilla, and
have already brought up one instance (bugs.linuxfoundation.org).
Bringing up the LSB Bugzilla should be a simple task.

The rest of our services will be brought up after this.  It will likely
take a month or more before we are fully back to the state we were in
before the shutdown.  Among other tasks: we need to recreate our
buildbot build network, bring up refspecs.linuxfoundation.org, bring up
some of the ad-hoc developer Web services, and so on.

I'll be following up as new services come online.  In the meantime,
let's restart the weekly calls on Wednesday, starting next week.  And
feel free to make the case for other priorities on the list.

_______________________________________________
lsb-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/lsb-discuss